Laser Hair Removal Do’s and Dont’s
Before you set out to have any type of permanent treatment such as laser hair removal done to your body, you need to know exactly what you are getting yourself into. You might think there isn’t much to know about this process. After all, all your dermatologist does is point the tool, hit the button, and zap, the hair is gone. But, as with most types of cosmetic procedure, it is not quite as simple as it seems. There are a number of do’s and don’ts you should be aware of before you arrive for your first session.
The Do’s List
- You should use a sunblock with an SPF rating of at least 30 or higher for the week before your appointment.
- Do make sure you shave the area to be treated the night before your appointment as this helps the laser to focus on the root of the hair.
- Be sure you choose a reputable facility such as Aistheta in Reno, NV for your laser hair removal where the work will be done by a licensed aesthetician.
- Make sure you are wearing the protective eyewear you are given, failure to do so can result in permanent eye damage.
- Do use the aftercare product given to you after your treatment to help speed the healing process and prepare your skin for your next round of hair removal.
- Be sure you follow our post-treatment instructions fully as this will ensure the best results.
- Do stay out of the sun for at least a week after your treatment to protect your skin.
The Dont’s List
- Don’t get sunburned or use a tanning bed for at least a week before your appointment.
- Don’t use creams or lotions that are heavily perfumed before your appointment.
- Don’t bleach, pluck, or wax any hair in the area where the laser hair removal treatment will be performed as this removes the root the laser is aimed at.
- Don’t be afraid to ask your Aistheta dermatologist any questions you have about the treatment process.
- Don’t take hot showers or baths, sit in a sauna or hot tub for the first two days after laser hair removal to reduce the risk of damage to your skin.
- Don’t rub the treated area as this can lead to scarring.
- Don’t hit the local pool for at least two to three days as the high levels of chlorine can damage the treated skin.
- Don’t wear tight fitting clothing for a few days to allow your skin time to heal.
While this might seem to be a long list of do’s and dont’s for laser hair removal, they are common sense guidelines that cover everything your dermatologist is likely to tell you during your initial consultation. Bear in mind that it is likely to take multiple sessions to completely get rid of all unwanted hair in a particular area. Finally, be sure that you follow any post-treatment instructions you are given to facilitate faster healing with less risk of damage to your skin, including scarring.
To learn more about laser hair removal by Aistheta, contact the team at Aistheta at (775) 829-1212 or come in and visit us in person at 6630 S. McCarren Blvd, Reno, NV 89509. Call today to schedule your free initial consultation!